6 week old kitten.

LegendaryPncake

i got a 6 week old kitten yesterday and i would love to get some tips about how to raise her. I know that 6 weeks is a little young for the kitty to be separate from her mother but it was either me or the pound at that point so i took her in. She's currently eating wet food but i would like to know if its still a good idea to bottle feed her powder milk? i have friends telling it would probably help. How do i train her to not scratch me? she gets on my foot sometimes and scratches me but i know she doesn't mean to hurt me. any tips would be helpful. thank you and sorry for your time.

linda2147

I don't think she needs a bottle but you can offer her the milk in a bowl and see if she will lap it up. She is awfully young to be taken away from her mom and hasn't learned about not scratching but you can teach her, when she scratches redirect her, pick her up and give her something else to do like a cardboard scratcher to scratch on. Just kind of move her little feet up and down on the scratching post and she'll get the idea. You need to teach her things her mom didn't and the time to start is now before she develops bad habits that will be much harder to break as she gets older.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome to the forum, Legendary! Thank you for posting - and more importantly, rescuing an orphan kitten. What is her name?

At 6 weeks, adding KMR to her diet is a good idea. The #1 rule for feeding kittens is "If she is hungry, feed her." But never try to force KMR into her mouth. She needs to eat wet food her entire life so now is the time to prevent her from becoming a picky eater. What kind of wet food is she eating?

Scratching: Is she trying to play too rough or using you as a scratching post? The solution depends on the reason.

Saav

Author of The Cats of Stony River
If she is eating wet food, she can drink water. She doesn't need the KMR and many cats are lactose-intolerant. She may love milk, but it can end in diarrhea which dehydrates her and dehydration in kittens can lead to health issues.

I suggest get her to a good vet and follow the vet's instructions. Always, always, with a new very young pet, it is always best to get her to a good vet soon. You can Google vets in your area, and check them out. Please don't get advice here, take her to a vet who can guide you along the right things to do with a young kitten. You will be much better with her.

Good luck!

Purrs, Saav

Last edited:

Saav

Author of The Cats of Stony River
Welcome to the forum, Legendary! Thank you for posting - and more importantly, rescuing an orphan kitten. What is her name?

At 6 weeks, adding KMR to her diet is a good idea. The #1 rule for feeding kittens is "If she is hungry, feed her." But never try to force KMR into her mouth. She needs to eat wet food her entire life so now is the time to prevent her from becoming a picky eater. What kind of wet food is she eating?

Scratching: Is she trying to play too rough or using you as a scratching post? The solution depends on the reason.
She is six weeks old. Too old for KMR, she's been weaned. She does not need to eat wet food her entire life, dry food is always recommended. Scratching is what kittens do, and an at-home remedy is a squirt bottle with water in it.

The kitten needs to see a vet. Please encourage folks to do the right thing and seek a vet with issues. Thanks.

Purrs, Saav