Cat Vaccination

lily123

Hi everyone, I've lost the paperwork for my cat. He was a rescued cat. However, I want to bring him to the vet for his shots, what should I do? Does a rescued cat have a microchip?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Did you rescue the cat from the pound or a shelter? If so, they should still have a copy of the paperwork to give you and the information about his microchip. Some vets may scan the cat for a chip free of charge if you ask first. Good luck and welcome!

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
It depends on the rescue organization. Some give all pets microchips, like the one my cat came from. Ask for a microchip scan at the vet's office.

Shelters always vaccinate cats who are not already protected against rabies. That one is mandatory in many if not most states, so it is unlikely he will need it from your vet this year if he is at least four months old. Do ask about the FVRCP shot, which covers three viruses.

lily123

Original Poster
Did you rescue the cat from the pound or a shelter? If so, they should still have a copy of the paperwork to give you and the information about his microchip. Some vets may scan the cat for a chip free of charge if you ask first. Good luck and welcome!
I got it from a friend who told me he was a rescue cat. So the vet won't scan the cat for a chip if I don't ask? I've never been to a vet before, so I was wondering if I have to show pet's ownership and medical history for a vet to check on the cat? I've lost all of this paperwork after I moved to a different location :(.

lily123

Original Poster
It depends on the rescue organization. Some give all pets microchips, like the one my cat came from. Ask for a microchip scan at the vet's office.

Shelters always vaccinate cats who are not already protected against rabies. That one is mandatory in many if not most states, so it is unlikely he will need it from your vet this year if he is at least four months old. Do ask about the FVRCP shot, which covers three viruses.
Thank you! I live in a state where rabies vaccine is mandatory (I'm a new pet owner and just knew about this). I realized his shots are overdue, hopefully, I won't get in any trouble when bringing him to a vet. I will definitely get him a full examination and all the vaccinations.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I got it from a friend who told me he was a rescue cat. So the vet won't scan the cat for a chip if I don't ask? I've never been to a vet before, so I was wondering if I have to show pet's ownership and medical history for a vet to check on the cat? I've lost all of this paperwork after I moved to a different location :(.
Lily, I think the vet will know what to do if you tell him your situation with the cat. Usually you do have to ask them to scan for a chip, but they generally have the little device handy and it's done in less than a minute.

lily123

Original Poster
Lily, I think the vet will know what to do if you tell him your situation with the cat. Usually you do have to ask them to scan for a chip, but they generally have the little device handy and it's done in less than a minute.
Thank you very much!

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I got it from a friend who told me he was a rescue cat. So the vet won't scan the cat for a chip if I don't ask? I've never been to a vet before, so I was wondering if I have to show pet's ownership and medical history for a vet to check on the cat? I've lost all of this paperwork after I moved to a different location.
How long have you had him? Do you know approximately how old he is?

You don't need to prove he is your cat. Tell the vet you recently adopted a new kitty and he/she will be happy to check him. Vets know what to do if a patient's medical history is unknown because that is a big part of their job. The only time proof of "ownership" and medical history is required is if the cat bites someone and police want his rabies certificate - a situation that can't happen if you keep him inside 24/7.