Male Golden Retriever reaction to aggressive behavior

madmax

Hi,

I am new here.

My wife and I are happy owners of 2 golden retrievers - one male (2yrs old) and one female (1yr old). The male came into our lives first. The female joined us in Feb 2019. Both are not neutered.

Since April 2019, he does not take too lightly to aggression from other dogs. If the other dog growls at him, he would growl back or launch an attack. If the other dog is friendly, he does not exhibit any aggressive reaction. We just had a bad episode yesterday when a poodle growled at him and he retaliated with an attack. Naturally, the owner of the poodle accused my GR of being aggressive.

I will admit my GR will forever have animal instincts. Nevertheless, I think his behavior is not acceptable. I hope to train him to stay cool and ignore the other dog's aggressive behavior.

What kind of training would you recommend to control his behavior?

I found this old article and wonder this 'let's go' training would work

Thank you

linda2147

training will help but you will NOT take aggression out of him. Best you can hope for is to control it. A reactive dog like this can never be trusted as you never know what will set him off so to keep everyone safe, him included walk him with a muzzle on.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I'm just wondering if he sees aggression as a threat to get at "his" female? Ask a vet if neutering him or both would help.
I agree that neutering would help, even if it didn't solve the problem completely.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Welcome! What happens when your male attacks another dog, does he bite, draw blood? Were both dogs off leash when this happened?

linda2147

Neutering doesn't change the basic personality. It may calm him down a bit but if he's aggressive he will still be aggressive