Pancreatitis in 14 year old dachshund

nancyr84

Our female Dachshund was recently diagnosed with pancreatitis. She was refusing to eat and had vomiting and diarrhea. Our first trip they did bloodwork , diagnosed her with pancreatitis . They gave her a subcutaneous fluid injection, antibiotics and pain meds . We got what meds we could in her. 2 days later she went in for full day IV fluids . They told us if she skipped 2 meals to take her to Emergency Hospital she will need 24-48 hour fluids . She has been eating but vomits every morning . By the afternoon she seems like her old self .

On Wednesday she goes back for more bloodwork. If the levels are high I’m sure they will tell us to take her to Emergency Hospital . We love our dogs with all our heart . During the last 3 years we have spent close to $15,000 on Vet Bills . Our 13 year old Dachshund died during Emergency surgery , they told us we had 50/50 chance of saving her by doing the operation. Her liver was bleeding . We had hernia surgery on one , plus other issues , repeat bloodwork etc etc. Walking into Animal hospital will be $1000. 24-48 hours of fluids , $2500 maybe . We are at a loss , We have the money if this is necessary but I’m at the point where I just don’t trust anyone.
Nancy

linda2147

I'm surprised your vet didn't suggest giving her 1 pepcid ac in the morning with or before breakfast and one at night. I don't know what he told you to feed her but nothing fatty, fat aggravates the condition. If she has a hard time with bowel movements you can give her two medamucil cookies. Dogs usually loved the cinnamon ones. Don't give her bones or anything with bone meal in it, that will make the stools hard and be painful for her to pass. Propectalin will help if she has dadiarrhea

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I also think Pepcid AC is a good idea, but because dachshunds are small dogs you can't give her the whole pill in one dose. (I had to cut one into quarters for my last cat.) Make sure you get the original one.

What have you been feeding her recently? Anytime a pet has a digestive system disorder the first thing to look at is the food bowl.

nancyr84

Original Poster
We have her on low-fat diet. Lots of boiled chicken and rice and a canned low fat food. She has been throwing up big time today . We have to decide whether to take her to ER hospital

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Rice is not a good ingredient in dog food. Pet food manufacturers throw it in to save money and pretend it is necessary for a dog to get enough protein. In reality dogs are carnivores who can live with less meat than cats need.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hi Nancy, welcome. I'm so sorry to hear your girl is so seriously ill with pancreatitis, I know you must be worried sick. My sympathy for the loss of your 13 year old.

I think the boiled chicken and rice is good for her, many years ago my husbands dog has just regular stomach issues like diarrhea, and his doctor recommended boiled ground beef, drain the water and mix the beef with white rice. Worked very well, we've had to use it on our dogs a few times over the years with good success.

I know what you mean about not trusting anyone in the medical field, it seems they often just want to perform expensive tests, and give prescription meds with a wait and see attitude. Meanwhile, your pet is suffering and you're frustrated with a draining bank account.

I'm sorry I have no specific experience with pancreatitis, but if I come across any information that may be helpful I'll post it here. In the meantime, hang in there, I know you have a lot going on and a lot of decisions to make. I wish the best for your baby....good luck, and please keep us posted about her condition.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
I'm so sorry to hear about your two babies.
I think the others have given good advice.
Your little ones are in my thoughts and prayers.