Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• Never

• Total voters

Jessie J.

Ninja Nif
Ever heard of the betta fish, or betta splendens? Well it's one of the most popular aquarium fish these days- the species comes in a dazzling array of colors, shapes, and sizes, making them tempting pets for an average little fishbowl. After all, care guides say they only need a half-gallon aquarium, so they don't need too much space, right?
Wrong.
Betta fish are labyrinth fish, equipped with a special organ not visible from the outside that allows them to live in water with very little oxygen/water movement to provide oxygen- this means they don't really need a whole lot of surface agitation to stay healthy, but it does not mean that you can put them in containers like the ones shown below and expect them to thrive or even live for more than a few months.

Betta fish are very intelligent, and can perceive their surroundings much better than other kinds of freshwater fish. They should not be forced to live every day of their lives like this! A proper betta home should be at least five gallons, with live or artificial plants to provide some kind of activity for the bettas. Stand up for bettas and buy from sustainable breeders instead of pet stores .

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Why not pet stores? Thats where I got my two bettas. They have been living for about 1 year now with not as much space as 5 gallon.

Jessie J.

Ninja Nif
Original Poster
Why not pet stores? Thats where I got my two bettas. They have been living for about 1 year now with not as much space as 5 gallon.
Big pet stores often keep their bettas in tiny cups before they're bought, to save space and money; these conditions can give your fish permanent gill damage or other problems, so that's why I often recommend people to buy from small, sustainable breeders that care more about their fish than money. I am going to add another chapter to this thread that elaborates on this.
Keeping your bettas in a 2-3 gallon tank with a filter will keep them alive and somewhat happy for a few years, but a five-gallon tank is one that would allow them to explore more; smaller bowls also contain less water, meaning that the fish could easily overload a small container with waste and have serious issues with too much ammonia in the water. Overall, a five-gallon is the minimum for bettas in my opinion, but I try to respect other people's opinions also.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Thank you for understanding what I mean, but betta's only live for that long, if that. (2 or 3 years.)
Also, where do you put your betta's for tank cleaning? In a small cup I suppose. That's what I do.

Jessie J.

Ninja Nif
Original Poster
Thank you for understanding what I mean, but betta's only live for that long, if that. (2 or 3 years.)
Also, where do you put your betta's for tank cleaning? In a small cup I suppose. That's what I do.
Yes, that's how I usually go about water changes; just be sure to cover the cup so they don't jump out.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Ok, but it's the same thing in a pet store...at least for the pet store I got mine from. They are in cups until they are 'adopted'. (I guess you can say adopted, right?)